upper west side townhouse
This 6,000-sq.ft townhouse, dating back to the 1880’s, was converted to an institutional building in the 1970’s. The townhouse is situated in the middle of a historic block of brownstones with a distinct 19th centry character. The new owners wanted to revert the building back to a grand single family residence and add space at the rear garden. The client’s request was to achieve privacy and openess at the same time. Glass partitions and railing were used to create a transluscency and filtering of light and shadows gently from the roof skylight into the stairwell. A small “dog-leg” addition at the rear was removed and a modern addition built of structural steel, custom wood windows and copper clad panels stretching six stories replaced the old brick facade bringing warmth to the narrow and tall shape of the building.